Links are back, for now
- Stumble Crumble displays your Stumbled links in your sidebar.
- GRAMPS – open source geneology software for Linux and Windows and can be compiled on Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris too.
Via an Irish blogger, can’t remember who, comment and I’ll update the post!Via James Galvin, thanks for commenting!
- Thanks Photub for linking to the GIMP lomo plugin I released a few days ago.
- Remember LOLcats? Now there’s LOLCode.net. Will someone write a PHP interpreter/compiler? Thanks Alex!
- Holy Shmoly! is now Gravatar enabled, although I haven’t signed up myself yet. Must see to that this morning. Enabling it on WordPress is really easy. Yes of course, Automattic own Gravatar now.
- The blogroll update (homepage) plugin opened my eyes. I didn’t know how the “last updated” field in WordPress links was updated, but there’s a file called update-links.php which can be called from Cron to interrogate Pingomatic.
Unfortunately api.pingomatic.com is downand Weblogs.com seems crap so I’m going to patch the blogroll update plugin to use Simple Pie to grab my blogroll’s feeds once a day.
- Why do I have all my best ideas when away from the computer? I need a waterproof pad for the shower…
Update – Ryan says WordPress 2.3.1 will be out soon. Expect the new WordPress MU shortly after. There are enough security and bug fixes in .1 to make waiting worthwhile.
Update 2 – api.pingomatic.com is back up and running thanks to Barry. Must get that plugin working over the weekend and finish adding sites to my blogroll.
Update3 – api.pingomatic.com still seems to be causing problems. It returns “XML-RPC server accepts POST requests only.” when update-links.php queries it, even though the query is a POST request. WordPress 2.3.1 went live a few hours ago! Time to upgrade, there are important bug fixes in there!
5 thoughts on “Donncha's Friday Links”
I was commenting on the unusual name of GRAMPS, never actually used it, but I have to say it looks pretty cool!
Thanks James, love the new theme too! I’ve always been interested in tracing my family back. Who knows? I might even be able to go back further than the 1920s when the Forecourts burnt with all the records.
The tv programme about Graham Norton looking for his roots sparked my interest again and I was mulling over database schemas for storing relationships 🙂
Thanks… have to say this is the first time I’ve ever seen my Gravatar too. 🙂
“in your sidebar”, I couldn’t help but giggle that the only sidebar for you is WordPress 😉
Not in your blog’s sidebar,
Haha! Well spotted Lloyd! We’re just spoilt with goodies aren’t we eh? I just presume everyone is running WordPress 😉