Finally, after what seems like an age, the download page has been updated with the new WordPress MU 1.3 release.
WordPress MU is a multi-blog version of WordPress which runs on millions of blogs all over the world. The major blogging site, WordPress.com uses it as do many others.
This is a sync of WordPress 2.3.1 which includes native tagging support as well as many bug and security fixes.
WordPress MU specific features include:
- Better admin controls for the signup page. It can be disabled in various ways.
- Upload space functions have been fixed.
- The signup form is now hidden from search engines which will help avoid certain types of spamming.
- Profile page now allows you to select your primary blog.
- Database tables are now UTF-8 from the start.
- If you’re using virtual hosts, the main blog doesn’t live at /blog/ any more.
- The WordPress importer now assigns posts to other users on a blog.
- A taxonomy sync script is included in mu-plugins but commented out. It hasn’t been tested much but if your site has many hundreds of blogs it might be worth spending some time on a test server. Replicate normal traffic patterns and see if the server can cope with the upgrade process. If not, then look at the sync script, uncomment it and iterate over all your blogs with a script.
Developers – get_blog_option() will never return the string “falsevalue” again. That bug has been squished and it now returns the boolean value false.
This forum thread on the new release is worth watching. Any problems will surface their first.
Everyone on the MU forums for your help in tracking down bugs.
ktlee and momo360modena for all your patches. They’re very welcome and a huge help.
Extensive documentation is being built up on the WordPress MU Codex by many people, including Martin Cleaver who bugged me about moving the docs from Trac and about telling everyone that documentation help is always needed.
24 thoughts on “WordPress MU 1.3”
Brilliant work guys!! I’ll test it with WP e-Commerce Plugin now. This is exciting news for us.
Many thanks for that – it’s a nice post. I for one am glad that wordpress MU 1.3 is out… I’m just looking to start a multi blog family site, and now that wordpress has native tagging, the time has never been better to use wordpress… Up the WP!
w00t – Thanks for all the hard work Donncha 🙂
Great Work. I’ll Try it at my site
Great works 😉
Thanks for the releases. I am waiting for this to try on my Virtual host.
Donncha, Super. Now, I can disable registration without renaming wp-$ignup.php. Hehe. My secret is out! I also like the fact that permalinks don’t have to live under /blog/ anymore. Thanks so much.
Thanks Donna! Just updated and it went off without a hitch!
Thank Goodness it’s here. I was wondering about MU..
Robbie, glad it went well, but my name is Donncha, it’s not Donna! 🙂
you’ve done a great job!
but… I’m trying to traduce my new wordpressmu to Galician and I can’t find a .po or .pot archive to do that…
can you help me?
and sorry for my bad English