On the day a world famous celebrity dies the Internet fills with countless messages remembering their life, expressing grief and shock at the death. It’s a collective coming together of humanity. Today was exceptional though. I read that grown men were reduced to tears when they read the news. In solidarity, people repeated the same simple catch phrase an alien in the 70’s used in greeting.
Yesterday, Robin Williams died. His Wikipedia page saw a flurry of activity today as the end of his life was documented for future generations to peruse.
I still remember him best as Mork, the alien who crash landed on Earth in an egg but he has a long list of movie and tv titles to his name which you’ll find on Wikipedia, or IMDB.
I knew he had battled substance abuse but had no idea he fought depression. It’s horrible that someone who brought so much laughter and joy to the world should see no alternative but suicide. I can’t imagine how dark the future must seem if this is the only way. I wonder what he’d make of the outpouring of feelings and grief today?
Some links that I came across today, because the Internet will return to normal tomorrow. I hope these don’t rot away with time.
- The Death of Robin Williams, And What Suicide Isn’t. (mirror)
- Robin Williams did an AMA on Reddit 10 months ago.
- There was a megathread devoted to the man today. Lots of great stories there.
- The WTF podcast interview is hilarious. (Youtube mirror.) NSFW language.
- My Facebook and Twitter streams this morning at 6:30am when every single message was about Robin Williams.
- Quote from his wife Susan Schneider:
“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings,” she added. “As he is remembered, it is our hope that the focus will not be on Robin’s death but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”
- He posted loads of great photos on Instagram.
- Even ISIS terrorists in Iraq tweeted about Robbin Williams (mirror). He reached everyone.
- Robin Williams, depression, and Stephen Fry.
These are dark days for his friends and family in their grief.
Nanu Nanu Mork. RIP.
One thought on “So long Robin Williams, thank you”
really well said donncha.