nar·cis·sism /ˈnɑrsəˌsɪzɛm/ Pronunciation Key – [nahr-suh-siz-em] – noun
- inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity.
- Psychoanalysis. erotic gratification derived from admiration of one’s own physical or mental attributes, being a normal condition at the infantile level of personality development.
From dictionary.com: narcissistic
If a person displays five or more of the following traits, they are likely to have narcissistic tendencies:
- A grandiose sense of self-importance (eg, exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognised as superior without commensurate achievements)
- Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty or ideal love
- Believes that he or she is ‘special’ and unique, and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
- Requires excessive admiration
- Has a sense of entitlement, ie, unreasonable expectations of especially favourable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
- Is interpersonally exploitative, ie, takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
- Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognise or identify with the feelings and needs of others
- Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
- Shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes
Does that describe you? Does it describe someone in your life? Taken from The Monster in the Mirror.
12 thoughts on “How narcissistic are you?”
Damn! I landed on this page while ego-surfing. Is there a lesson to be learned in that?
I think that is rather worrying! 🙂
Some people say I’m narcissistic; but I’m not, so obviously they’re all wrong.
First of all, I don’t know why I’m even reading this article. I have far more important things to be doing, and way more glamourous people to be doing them with.
But since I’m here now – and I HOPE you appreciate it, though I don’t know how you would be able to – I believe you at least owe me a little more than having my comment relegated to the ranks of the rest of these pee-on’s. In fact, I think you should move my comment up above all of the others.
Scratch that, my comment should be at the top of the page above your post. After all, I think we all know this IS the most important thing here, don’t we?
John “The Almighty” P. 🙂
PS – Don’t forget to set up a media player so that people can hear some brilliant Jazz music while they are reading my words. And it MUST be Jazz. I don’t want people listening to Hip Hop or something while attempting to comprehend the deep meaning behind my comments. God knows, they’ll need all the help they can get anyway!
lacking empathy … I know a few people who have this one alright.
Btw. Donncha, I guess you noticed your PR drop ?
Paul – no, I hadn’t noticed. Guess Google is shuffling things around again. About a year ago it was a PR 8 so I’ll have to work harder to get inbound links!
Hmm … sounds like most bloggers 🙂
* A grandiose sense of self-importance – Check
* Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success – Check
* Believes that he or she is â€˜specialâ€™ and unique – Check
* Requires excessive admiration – Check
* Takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends – Check
* Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her – Check
* Shows arrogant, haughty behaviours or attitudes – Check
Btw. you are down to PR4 now. 🙁 What are Google up to ?
It’s the TLA thing, got rid of them this morning, posting about it later.
I think they are downgrading blogs all across the board, ProBlogger.net was downgraded, and so was Endgadget. Looking forward to the post Donncha.
lol that is totally me
but its in my head
i dont say it or anything lol…
but it totally describes me:D
Wow, I’m a Narcissist too 🙂
But then again why wouldn’t I be?
I am the king!!!