John F. Kennedy, visited my home town Cork, during his trip to Ireland in 1963. This is a photo that popped up on the “Cork” tag Flickr stream last night and I had to blog it.
Different times, he’s completely exposed to the crowd. Patrick Street is thronged with people. They’re practically hanging out the windows trying to catch a glimpse of him. If anyone wanted to take a pot-shot at him it would have been simple to do so but at the time the country was swept up in a tide of pride and joy. “Kennedy had near-legendary status in Ireland, as the first person of Irish heritage to have a position of world power.”
This was only a few months before his assassination in Dallas later that year in November. The Wikipedia page on him has a paragraph dedicated to the visit, and links to this article from the BBC archives.
Image hosted at Flickr.
“This town needs an anema”. That was a line from last week’s “A town called Eureka” and I knew I recognised it. It was a line in the original Batman movie! I couldn’t find a clip of this scene, but here’s the first level of Batman the Movie on the Commodore 64!
How We Met
A short movie shot on the human body. Cool idea and nice story. Here’s the “making of” video.
- A long list of WordPress MU plugins.
- I’m sure not everyone knows about the recent activity page on Flickr. Check it out and subscribe to the feed to track comments to your stream.
- So, you’re comfortable with the web, you can find your way around. Take it for granted? Of course you do. George Barr explains the significance of the web for photographers.
- The Expressive Moment in Street Photography – this is so hard to accomplish. Many of my street shots lack that expressive moment. Must try harder.
- Funny photography videos. Love that myspace one!
- Elly and Tom both ask if Blognation is in meltdown. Seems that wages have not been paid in some time. I see Conor’s last post was yesterday. Hope things get sorted out.
- Oh great! Another story to reinforce the stereotype of the drunken Irishman!
- The Sociability plugin for WordPress displays a nice message to Digg and Stumbleupon visitors encouraging them to add a vote for your post. I haven’t looked at it yet. I wonder if it’ll work with Super Cache?
PS. Looking for a Budget 2008 calculator? Try the one at tax123.ie. Via Keith.